UNITED NATIONS – MICROBIAL AGRICULTURE CAN KEEP OUR SOILS ALIVE
Microbial Agriculture and SOBEC’s premium product – ‘VESTA’ – is highlighted in the report as a solution
Global Opportunity Report 2017 (by United Nations Global Compact, Sustainia and DNV GL) has pointed at ‘Keeping our soils alive’ as being one of the biggest challenges in the world.
Soil depletion is one of the biggest challenges, and biotechnology to enrich the soil is the way forward.
- Approximately 40% of soil used for agriculture is degraded. 70% of topsoil – the layer allowing plants to grow – is gone
- Each year we lose 100,000 km2 cropland due to soil erosion
- United Nations (FAO) estimates that food production must increase by 70% from 2017 to 2050.
- Microbial agriculture market is conservatively estimated to grow at a rate of +15% p.a. – SOBEC estimate the demand to be much larger
- The Global Opportunity Report 2017, identifies this area as one of the next, most immediate frontiers in new market opportunities, across all industries.